Mental Capacity Act & DoLS Training Level 2 – Online CPD Accredited Course – MCA & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Course – Skills for Health Aligned
Welcome to our online Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) training course for healthcare and social care providers. Our online Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training courses are developed in line with the latest UK legislation and meet the requirements set out by the National Health Service (NHS), Royal Medical Colleges, Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF), the Care Quality Commission (CQC), Skills for Care, UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and other professional and regulatory bodies.
How to access your Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training course
Follow the easy steps below to purchase and access your Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training course:
- Pay for your courses (All major debit and credit cards accepted)
- Once you have registered you will receive your login details within a few minutes
- You will then be able to reset your password, log in and take your selected online course (s)
- On completion, you will be asked to complete an end of course assessment (minimum 80% to pass)
- You can immediately download, save or print your CPD Accredited Certificate
- Let us know what you think of your online course, leave us a review!
Course aims and objectives
The aims and objectives of this Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training course are to:
- To provide the learner with a clear understanding of the legislation and guidelines regarding mental capacity and deprivation of liberty
- To provide an awareness of how mental capacity assessments are carried out, including the best interests principles
- To provide an awareness of the roles of key stakeholders involved and the practical application of mental capacity legislation
- To provide an understanding of special cases and the legal protection for the decision maker
- To provide essential mental capacity and deprivation of liberty training resources in an engaging and meaningful way
- To provide a FREE blended learning environment that is available to all individuals and businesses
What is covered in this online Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training course?
This Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training e-learning course covers the following:
- Introduction into the Mental Capacity Act and deprivation of liberty safeguards (DoLS)
- Understand the key principles of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Definition of “capacity”
- The Mental Capacity Act 2005
- The statutory principles
- Assessment of mental capacity
- What is Deprivation of Liberty?
- Deprivation of liberty assessment
- Best interests principles
- Legal protection for the decision maker
- Special cases
- Independent mental capacity advocate (IMCA) service
- Restraint and deprivation of liberty
- Lasting power of attorney
- Court of protection and court appointed deputies
- Advance decisions
- Recording your practice
- Online learning resources and references relating to mental capacity and deprivation of liberty
Who is the online Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training course for?
This Mental Capacity Act & DoLS e-learning course should be completed by those who work in health and social care services including:
- NHS medical, nursing, AHP and care staff
- Locum doctors and nurses
- Locum allied health professionals (AHPs)
- Agency nurses
- Agency workers
- Healthcare assistants
- Support workers
- Care assistants
- Nursery staff
- Teachers and teaching staff
- Community services
Our online Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training courses should be completed by all healthcare and social care staff. This includes voluntary staff and unpaid working in NHS and private hospitals. Locum doctors, locum allied health professionals, agency nurses and healthcare assistants can also complete these e-learning courses.
These Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training courses are also relevant for health and social care support workers, including those who work for nursing care homes, residential care homes and charities.
To complete this Mental Capacity Act & DoLS e-learning course, you will need access to a computer device, e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone device
Our Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training courses are suitable for:
- Those who are looking to improve their knowledge of the subject area
- Those whose jobs require periodic continuing professional development (CPD)
- Those who need to show evidence as part of their professional registration requirements, e.g., doctors, nurses and allied health professionals
Assessment and certification
At the end of this Mental Capacity Act & DoLS e-learning course, learners will be required to complete an online assessment. On successful completion of the knowledge test (80% pass mark), learners will be able to download a FREE CPD certificate that is valid for one year.
The content of this online Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Payment and additional information
After adding your Mental Capacity Act & DoLS e-learning course (s) to the shopping cart (by selecting Add to Cart), you will be able to make a secure payment using all major credit and debit cards.
Once you have purchased your Mental Capacity Act & DoLS online training course (s), you will be sent a confirmation e-mail. You will then receive a link and login details to access your e-learning course (s) within a few minutes of purchase
What is the Mental Capacity Act?
The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) 2005 is designed to protect and empower individuals who may lack the mental capacity to make their own decisions about their care and treatment. It is a law that applies to individuals aged 16 and over. Examples of people who may lack capacity include those with dementia.
Examples of people who may lack capacity include those with:
- a severe learning disability
- a brain injury
- a mental health condition
- a stroke
- unconsciousness caused by an anaesthetic or sudden accident
However, just because a person has one of these conditions does not necessarily mean they lack the capacity to make a specific decision.
Someone can lack the capacity to make some decisions (for example, to decide on complex financial issues) but still have the capacity to make other decisions (for example, to decide what items to buy at the local shop).
What is Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards?
- The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards is an amendment to the Mental Capacity Act 2005. They apply in England and Wales only.
- The Mental Capacity Act allows restraint and restrictions to be used – but only if they are in a person’s best interests.
- Extra safeguards are needed if the restrictions and restraint used will deprive a person of their liberty. These are called the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards.
- The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards can only be used if the person will be deprived of their liberty in a care home or hospital. In other settings, the Court of Protection can authorise a deprivation of liberty.
- Care homes or hospitals must ask a local authority if they can deprive a person of their liberty. This is called requesting a standard authorisation.
What is the Mental Capacity Act Code of Practice?
The code of practice gives guidance to people who:
- work with people who can’t make decisions for themselves
- care for people who can’t make decisions for themselves
It says what you must do when you act or make decisions on behalf of people who can’t act or make those decisions for themselves.
The Mental Capacity Act 2005 (MCA) says certain people must think about the code of practice when they act or make decisions on the other person’s behalf. This includes:
- an attorney appointed under a lasting power of attorney
- a deputy appointed by the Court of Protection
- an independent mental capacity advocate
- a person doing research approved in accordance with the MCA
- a person who acts in a professional capacity for, or in relation to, people who can’t make decisions for themselves
- a person who is paid to act for or in relation to people who can’t make decisions for themselves
What is the Skills for Health’s UK ‘Core Skills Training Framework’ (CSTF)?
There is increasing recognition that there are wide variations in the quality and consistency of healthcare training provided across the UK. To minimise these challenges, LearnPac Systems works with various UK health and social care organisations to develop statutory and mandatory training courses in line with Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF).
This includes mandatory training courses in the Skills for Health’s UK Core Skills Training Framework – CSTF Statutory Mandatory Training Subject Guide Version 1.3, Skills for Health Clinical Care UK Core Skills Training Framework Subject Guide April 2015 and other awareness courses for health and social care workers.
This online Mental Capacity Act & DoLS training course was developed in line with the CSTF learning outcomes.
Why choose our accredited e-learning courses?
The benefits of using our accredited e-learning courses in the workplace include:
- National Skills Academy for Health national delivery partner
- The UK accredited e-learning provider
- An approved UK training centre
- Ofqual accredited qualifications
- Nationally recognised CPD certificates
- Free blended learning environment to support existing training
- Access your online training immediately
- Highly interactive e-learning portal
- Substantial cost reductions (no travel fees & other expenses)
- Embrace the benefits of eLearning for healthcare providers
- Significant man hour reductions
- Online training only takes as long as the learners needs
- Low carbon footprint through e-learning
- Over 200 online CPD courses
- Repository of online learning materials and assessment
- Fully qualified and experienced trainers, instructors and assessors
- Subject matter experts and content developers
- Convert your existing classroom courses to e-learning courses
- All training courses based on the latest guidance and best practice
Mental Capacity Act & DoLS Training Level 2 – Online CPD Accredited Course – MCA & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Course – Skills for Health CSTF Aligned